There are particular remedies that stores sell for nail fungus which are usually expensive and only help a little. Although a nail fungus can start quite easily, it is not always easy to get rid of it. The remedies that you can buy in pharmacies often do not help and the medicines that you can get with a doctor’s prescription are not quite good for your liver. Therefore, let us get started with remedies that you probably already have in your kitchen or bathroom cabinet!
Keep the nail thin
First, it is necessary to keep the nail as thin as possible. All remedies have little effect if they can’t penetrate the nail because the cause of the nail fungus is located under the nail. With a pedicure, you can have the nail filed down. Some prefer to save the cost of the pedicure and start working with a file at home. If so, use a clean file to prevent further contamination.
1. Apple cider vinegar or natural vinegar: Should there be anything that fungi don’t like, it is vinegar. Therefore, soak a cotton ball with vinegar and place it over the nail. Keep it in a place with plaster for a while, and then allow the nail to dry.
2. Sudocrem: Just for a few Euros you can buy a jar of Sudocrem at the drugstore. This is quite much cheaper than the typical anti-fungal remedies, and is reportedly more effective. You can apply a generous layer of Sudocrem to the nail. The ingredients in this cream can have an antifungal effect, so you can get rid of your nail fungus.
3. Vicks Vaporub: Vicks Vaporub is mostly used to treat colds, but you can also make use of it effectively for nail fungus. Apparently, the nail will darken first and then brighten. Apply the Vaporub liberally to the nail, and using a cotton swab, try to apply it to the nail bed and the skin under the nail.
4. Tea tree oil: You can use this oil for different kinds of things, including fighting nail fungus. The various ingredients in this oil are known for their antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. You will only need to spread the oil over the affected nail and the surrounding area.
5. Eucalyptus oil: This oil is mostly used by several people to treat cold with steam, but it can also work great as a remedy for a nail fungus. Eucalyptus oil has a bacterial property that fungi can’t resist. Now spread the oil on the nail fungus and also try to apply it to the cuticles and the skin under the nail.
6. Dettol: Do you have Dettol at home? If so, you can also use this to treat nail fungus. Prepare a foot bath with warm water and add a generous splash of Dettol. Bathe your foot for half an hour and then dry it well.
7. Garlic and lemon: This doesn’t cause a nice smell, but garlic is a natural antimicrobial agent. You can make a foot bath by crushing 10 cloves of garlic and cooking in 500 milliliters of water. Let it boil for five minutes and then cool to a comfortable temperature. You can now add some lemon juice (fungi dislike acid) and soak your feet in the bath for 10 minutes. Then dry the feet thoroughly. Repeat three times a week. You can also rub the nail directly with the juice of a clove of garlic.
What you should definitely not do
There are several things that you shouldn’t do if you suffer from a nail fungus. For example, don’t use moisturizing ointments that contain turpentine oil. The oil will dry out your nail, which can lead to crumble even further. Also, you should try to resist the temptation to hide the fungal nail with nail polish. Nail polish aggravates the fungus because it prevents oxygen from reaching the nail. You can also contaminate other nails, because the bacteria will stick to the nail polish brush.
Share to a friend who needs this