The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Accountant, Finance
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Institution: Ecowas Parliament
Directorate: Directorate Of Admin.& Finance
Division: Finance Division
Line Supervisor: Director, Administration. & Finance
Supervising: Accountant, Financial Reporting & Treasury, · Budget Officer
- Under the supervison of the Director, Adminsitration and Finance, the incumbent will ensure efficient and effective management of the financial resources at the Parliament.
Role and Responsibilities
- Plan, co-ordinate and supervise the work of the Finance Division and its staff;
- Supervise all budget and financial operations;
- Implement Accounting Policies and ensure compliance with ECOWAS Financial Regulations; ensure that best Accounting practices are in operation as well as adequate control over the assets of the Institution;
- Assist the Director of Administration and Finance in the collation and preparation of the Parliament’s annual budget;
- Ensure compliance with accounting procedures in the preparation of accounting documents;
- Prepare quarterly budget performance reports and forecasts for the management and Bureau as well as for financial control and internal audit purposes;
- Prepare mid-term and end of year budget performance reports for the Parliamentary Committee on Economic Policy and Budget Control;
- Manage and ensure that all financial activities leading to preparation of final accounts are carried out in proper fashion, including preparation of Bank Reconcialtion, recording and management of Fixed Assets, recording and management of Receivables and Payables, as well as Inventory Control;
- Prepare on a timely basis the annual final accounts of the Parliament for examination by the External Auditors;
- Liaise and follow-up with the ECOWAS Commission with respect to funds requests and funds releases for the operations of the Parliament;
- Follow-up on all audit related to finance from the Auditor General and the External Auditors;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting and Finance from a recognized University.
- 10 years of progressively responsible experience in a complex organizational environment, in budget formulation, financial monitoring, accounting and financial reporting, of which at least 2 years relevant international work and 2 years at a supervisory level;
- Demonstrated practical knowledge of relevant financial accounting principles and concepts to perform tasks in accordance with the generally accepted Accounting Principles and Standards of relevance to public sector and international organizations;
- Demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject matter; accounting best practices, financial policies (e.g. revenue, accounts payable);
- Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget development and financial administration of resources;
- International work experience in finance and budget operations would be an added advantage;
- Professional Qualifications such as ACCA, ACA will be an added advantage.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity, confidentiality and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Knowledge of program management at the level usually acquired from a certification in program management.
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs/projects that will best serve the community/organization;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to manage and co-ordinate client management initiatives and make recommendations;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
Share to a friend who needs this