APM Terminals is the global terminal operating arm of the A.P. Moller-Maersk Group. APM Terminals operates a Global Terminal Network of 76 operating port and terminal facilities and 117 Inland Services operations in 59 countries around the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Planning Manager
- We are currently seeking for Operations Planning Manager to be based in APM Terminals Apapa Ltd., Lagos Nigeria.
- This position is responsible for all the planning and administration of all container movements in the terminal.
- Safety is a reflection of APMT’s core values, we promote constant care throughout all our operational activities, always strive for higher standards in safety through innovation, and we coach our teams to support safe environment across all pillars of our organization
Responsible for all the planning and administration of all container movements in the terminal.
- Overseeing the planning section of berth, vessel, yard, Rail, Resources and labour in terms of day-to-day requirements.
- Guarantee that all planning activities are performed in full compliance with safety regulations, respecting the applicable laws and company procedures.
- Establish and maintain professional relationship with Shipping Lines’ representatives so to manage activities related to ship, rail and cargo operations
- Manage and supervise all terminal planning activities with due regard to safety, quality, productivity and optimum use of staff, equipment and space.
- Ensure all operations are run in a safe manner, from planning and execution point of view, ensuring Ship, Yard and rail activities are planned and sequenced so to respect stacking and segregation rules, job sequencing, weight restrictions, IMDG regulations, company procedures and group GMR, Port Authority and Harbour master regulations.
- Cooperate with Execution Team to assess feasibility and plan the activities related to Project Cargo and Uncontainerized cargo operations
- Manage, motivate and instruct all planning team members. Structure tasks and goals, establish efficient courses of action, set priorities, organize information and efficiently execute daily tasks with considerations achieve agreed productivity levels and efficient utilization of equipment and labour.
- Ensure that data quality used in the planning systems always is of highest integrity, and maintained in a timely fashion.
- Maintain and enhance relationships and goodwill with departments, external/internal customers and vendors. Advising, apprising, assisting, conferring and counselling with these on terminal issues and initiatives.
- Establish and maintain performance criteria for reporting personnel in conjunction with the Head of Operations.
- Coordinate the training operator program, with the equipment training coordinators. Also consulting with the direct reporting manager to ensure that the labour force is trained, tested and certified.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategic initiatives that will prepare the terminal for future initiatives.
- Ensure personal development plans are created, reviewed, and carried out for all subordinates.
- The incumbent is expected to ensure that daily activities contribute to the achievement of operational results.
- The incumbent is expected to continuously contribute to the improvement of existing methodologies, processes and measurements
- Measure and report on operational performance and develop plans to improve relevant key performance indicators
- Monitor the costs related to operations so to ensure that planning of internal/external resources and labour force is efficient and cost-effective
- Proactively support implementation of lean Way of Working methodology (Operating system/Problem Solving).
We are Looking for
- Minimum university degree in Logistics, Operations Management or Process / Industrial Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in container terminal operations environment, with coordination of planning team
- Solid understanding of the container shipping industry end-to-end and an ability to relate with shipping company and other associated industry managers.
- In-depth knowledge of planning manpower & equipment
- Extensive understanding of operational processes and TOS.
- In-depth knowledge of berth planning, Yard Planning and rail planning process and related documentation.
- Understanding of vessel stowage planning, vessel, rail and yard operations.
- Requires some knowledge of accounting, billing, and associated documentation.
- Fluent in English and local language
- Experience in cost and productivity optimization through process optimization, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures.
- Extensive understanding of modern terminal operations and terminal management systems
- Extensive knowledge of APM Terminals Operating System
Planning and Organizational Skills:
- Ability to define and monitor performance and cost KPIs
- Problem Solver mindset
- Conflict Management
- Lean knowledge and leadership, guiding the team in improvement actions (Gemba, Kaizens)
- Customer Centricity
Learning & Career Opportunities:
- In this position, the incumbent will have an opportunity to acquire skills and In this position, the incumbent will have a variety of learning opportunities to increment and acquire skills and knowledge in the following areas:
- Extensive operational management experience in a container terminal.
- Experience in Strategy implementation.
- Leadership skills.
- The incumbent can decide to grow in multiple paths upwards, sideways and downwards in the organization such as but not limited to:
- Head of Operations in a smaller terminal, Planning Manager in more complex terminal or projects”
- An opportunity to be part of a high-performance team that ensures APM Terminals to be safe, the most efficient and profitable terminals in the region
- Direct influence on strategic level decisions
- Working with partners, shareholders, authorities and other stakeholders
- Developing roles and responsibilities for a key terminal for APM Terminals in the region.
Application Closing Date
2nd September, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Share to a friend who needs this