Are you ready to explore exciting opportunities for international students with our curated list of PhD scholarships in USA? Uncover funding options and diverse academic landscapes and embark on a transformative educational journey in one of the world’s most sought-after destinations.
The United States is widely recognized as a highly desirable global destination for international studies. Boasting a dynamic economy and providing a rich cultural environment, it consistently attracts a growing number of students seeking educational opportunities abroad. The abundance of prospects available makes it unsurprising that an escalating number of individuals are considering pursuing their studies in the USA annually.
If you are among those interested in studying in the USA, you’re in the right spot. Explore the following compilation of available doctoral scholarships specifically tailored for international students in the USA.
Discover a comprehensive compilation of fully funded PhD scholarships available for international students at accredited universities throughout the USA. These scholarships cover tuition fees and stipends, including travel allowances, health insurance coverage, and accommodation support.
1. Yale University Scholarships USA | $50,000 (INR 41.29 Lakhs) | As per the course | Open to All
2. Fulbright Scholarships | $35,000 (INR 29.08 Lakhs) for master’s students, funding for PhD-students and scholars differs | Feb-Oct 2022 | Open to All
3. AAUW International Fellowships | $20,000 (INR 16.62 Lakhs) | December | Only for Females
4. Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship | $10,000 (INR 8.31 Lakhs) | December | Only for Females
5. Franklin Mosher Baldwin Memorial Fellowship | $15,000 (INR 12.47 Lakhs) | February | Open to All
6. HHMI International Student Research Fellowships | $30,000 (INR 24.98 Lakhs) | February | Open to All
7. Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust | $25,000 (INR 20.78 Lakhs) | January | Open to All
8. NCITD International Trade Scholarships | $1,000 (INR 83,143) | March | Open to All
9. Campbell Fellowships for Transformative Research | $4,500 (INR 3.74 Lakhs) | November | Only for Females
10. IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program | $6,000-25,000 (INR 4.46-18.59 Lakhs) | November | Open to All
Explore these opportunities to secure funding for your PhD studies in the USA based on your eligibility and interests.
For PhD students at Yale University, a comprehensive and fully funded package is typically provided for a minimum of five years. During this period, students benefit from a twelve-month stipend to cover living expenses, along with a fellowship that encompasses the entire cost of tuition.
Yale University offers an annual stipend ranging from $30,000 to $34,000 (INR 22.31-25.29 Lakhs) for most students. Additionally, many students have the opportunity to take on Teaching Assistant (TA) or Research Assistant (RA) appointments, which further contribute an extra $20,000 to $25,000 (INR 14.87-18.59 Lakhs) per year.
These appointments provide valuable teaching experience and flexibility for students to participate in conferences and pursue various activities. Some programs may even include funding support for the summer months. Explore the diverse opportunities that Yale University Scholarships provide for a well-rounded and fully supported Ph.D. experience.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program opens doors for graduate students, young professionals, and artists from across the globe to engage in study and research experiences in the United States at esteemed universities or academic institutions. This renowned program annually attracts participants from 155 countries, fostering international collaboration and cultural exchange.
The Fulbright scholarships for U.S. study encompass:
1. Tuition and fees (for 9-month programs or variable durations)
2. A living stipend (for 9-month programs)
3. Round-trip transportation (for 9-month programs)
4. Health insurance coverage (for 9-month programs)
It’s important to note that the program does not cover additional costs such as books, supply fees, and dependent care expenses. Please refer to the attached chart for specific details on costs related to each program type. Depending on individual needs, some study abroad programs may incur extra expenses. Fulbright Scholarships offer a comprehensive support structure for international scholars pursuing academic excellence in the United States.
As one of the oldest and most extensive international fellowship programs, the AAUW International Fellowships have a rich legacy of supporting women embarking on graduate studies in the United States. Distinguished by its unwavering dedication to empowering women and fostering global understanding, this program provides recipients with a unique and invaluable experience.
These highly competitive PhD scholarships in the USA necessitate applications by December 1st each year. The fellowship encompasses:
– $20,000 (INR 14.87 Lakhs) Stipend: Providing financial support to aid in various aspects of academic pursuit.
– English Language Proficiency Requirement: Ensuring effective communication and engagement during the study period.
– Full Tuition and Fees Coverage: Enabling access to education by covering the complete cost of tuition and associated fees at most U.S. universities.
The AAUW International Fellowships stand as a testament to the commitment to advancing women’s education and global cooperation, creating an unparalleled and invaluable experience for its recipients.
Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship for Women in Computer Science
The Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship is a prestigious award dedicated to recognizing and supporting female students who exhibit outstanding academic achievements, a strong commitment to leadership in computer science, and a genuine dedication to increasing the representation of women in the field.
This scholarship is designed to assist women pursuing careers in computer science or related technical domains. Successful applicants receive a $10,000 (INR 7.43 Lakhs) award for the upcoming academic year, which includes support for the summer term, if applicable.
Selection for these scholarships is based on the merit of each candidate’s academic history and demonstrated leadership qualities. Notably, all scholarship recipients and finalists are extended an invitation to attend the Annual Google Scholars’ Retreat in Mountain View, California, providing an enriching and collaborative experience for these exceptional women in the field of computer science.
This Ph.D. scholarship in the USA is specifically designed to cultivate future leaders in the scientific exploration of humankind, with a distinct emphasis on fostering collaborative research and training projects. The fellowship is dedicated to establishing connections with developing countries and addressing underrepresented minorities in the United States.
– Citizenship in a developing country.
– Current enrollment or recent acceptance into an accredited graduate program specializing in anthropology, archaeology, physical anthropology, or primatology.
– Intention to return to the home country upon successfully completing studies in the United States.
– Minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale (B).
– Completion of at least two years of college-level coursework toward the degree before commencing graduate studies.
– Demonstrating a strong potential for a research-oriented career focused on human origins and evolution.
– An annual stipend of $15,000 (INR 11.15 Lakhs) for up to three years.
– Coverage of tuition and fees, up to $5,000 (INR 3.71 Lakhs) per year.
This fellowship provides financial support and establishes a platform for scholars to engage in impactful research and training initiatives. By nurturing leaders in the scientific study of humankind, the program contributes to advancing knowledge and collaboration on a global scale.
The HHMI International Student Research Fellowships offer an exceptional opportunity for international students pursuing biomedical sciences research in the USA. Supported by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, this $43,000 (INR 31.98 Lakhs) grant is available for individuals studying at accredited American institutions.
– Citizenship or permanent residency in a country other than the United States.
– Entering the third, fourth, or fifth year as a full-time student pursuing a doctoral degree at an accredited American institution.
– Demonstration of outstanding talent and innovation in biomedical sciences research.
Application Deadline: February
These fellowships are pathways to academic excellence and innovation, providing substantial support for international students in pursuing cutting-edge research and scholarly contributions.
The Josephine de Karman Fellowship offers an annual grant of $22,000 (INR 16.36 Lakhs) to eight exceptional graduate students pursuing a PhD at accredited universities in the United States. This opportunity extends to international students without US citizenship, with a notable emphasis on supporting PhD students in the humanities.
Eligibility and Application Details:
– Open to graduate students pursuing a PhD at a recognized US university.
– International students without US citizenship are encouraged to apply.
– Special consideration is given to Ph.D. students in the humanities.
– Application requirements include Letters of Recommendation, publications, several chapters of dissertation research, and transcripts.
The Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust dedicates itself to offering financial support to students entering their final year of study or those who have recently graduated. The selection process is highly competitive, with only outstanding candidates accepted into the program. The fellowship primarily focuses on supporting science, engineering, and mathematics research in the United States and Canada. Administered by the National Academy of Sciences on behalf of The Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust, this fellowship presents a unique opportunity for aspiring scholars to advance their academic pursuits and contribute significantly to their respective fields.
The National Council on International Trade Development (NCITD) offers scholarships of $1,000 (INR 83,146 Lakhs) to students pursuing non-US master’s or PhD degrees in fields related to international trade. This encompasses disciplines such as political science, international affairs, international business, economics, or law.
– Applicants must be pursuing non-US master’s or PhD degrees in relevant fields.
– A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required.
– Submission of two letters of recommendation.
– A 2,500-word personal narrative outlining how the applicant plans to positively impact international trade in the future.
– Academic performance.
– Career goals in the field of international trade.
– Contributions or potential contributions to the field.
The NCITD International Trade Scholarships provide a valuable opportunity for students to receive financial support while pursuing advanced degrees in areas crucial to international trade. The judging criteria ensure that recipients not only exhibit academic excellence but also demonstrate a commitment to positively impacting the future of international trade.
The Campbell Fellowships for Transformative Research, facilitated by the School of Advanced Research (SAR), present a unique opportunity for international female PhD scholars engaged in researching the circumstances of women in developing nations worldwide.
– Stipend: $4,500 (INR 3.74 Lakhs) per month.
– Open to international female graduate students.
– Applicants must be enrolled in a doctoral program at the time of application and throughout the fellowship period.
– Completion of the equivalent of a US master’s degree or its equivalent before the commencement of the fellowship.
– Proficiency in English with an excellent command of written English.
– Demonstrated experience or potential for conducting research on women’s issues in global developing countries.
This fellowship aims to support and empower female scholars dedicated to transformative research on the conditions of women in developing nations. By providing financial assistance and a platform for collaboration, the Campbell Fellowships foster a conducive environment for the advancement of knowledge and understanding in this critical research domain.
The IBM PhD Fellowship Awards Program stands as a highly competitive initiative that attracts exceptional doctoral students worldwide aspiring to pursue studies, internships, or research in the United States. This program specifically seeks candidates with interests in computer science, electrical engineering, cyber security, mobile computing, data analytics, social technologies, or material sciences.
– Applicants must be PhD students who have completed at least one year of their program.
– Residency in any nation, except for those under US embargo.
– Fulfillment of visa requirements.
Awards and Benefits:
– Full scholarships for the recipient to pursue their PhD degree.
– Stipend and travel allowance.
– Health insurance coverage.
– Tuition reimbursement.
– Consideration for additional educational benefits, including student loan repayment after one year of employment with IBM.
This prestigious fellowship program not only provides financial support for PhD studies but also opens doors to valuable opportunities, including potential employment with IBM and additional educational benefits. It serves as a testament to IBM’s commitment to fostering the next generation of leaders in cutting-edge fields.
Pursuing a PhD in the USA offers a multitude of opportunities, and numerous prestigious scholarships are available to support aspiring scholars. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program, AAUW International Fellowships for Women, and the IBM PhD Fellowship Program are among the top-tier opportunities providing financial support, research opportunities, and valuable experiences.
Additionally, the prospect of settling in the USA after completing a PhD adds to the attractiveness of studying in the country. For Indian students, the USA stands out as one of the best destinations for pursuing a PhD, reflecting the nation’s commitment to academic excellence and innovation. As the landscape of scholarships continues to evolve, aspiring PhD candidates should explore these offerings to embark on a transformative academic journey in the United States.
Q: What are the top scholarships for PhD in the USA?
A: Some of the top scholarships for PhD in the USA include:
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- AAUW International Fellowships in the USA for Women
- IBM PhD Fellowship Program
Q: Can I settle in the USA after a PhD?
A: Yes, students who complete their PhD in the USA can apply for a green card, subject to meeting specific eligibility requirements.
Q: Which country is best for a PhD for Indian students?
A: Among international countries, the USA is often considered one of the top choices for pursuing a PhD abroad.
OTHER RELATED ARTICLES