Some parents admired to have twins; this will be their constant companion, shared memories of childhood, the reasons typically vary though. Other parents run at the thought. However, there are possible ways that can enable you to increase the chances of conceiving twins naturally.
Meanwhile, the chance of conceiving twins naturally is about 3%. Obviously, being on any form of fertility treatment will highly increase your chances. IVF offers you 20 to 40% higher chances of twins. When you are trying to conceive twins, you might be curious as to some natural methods to increase your odds. We have come up with some ways that will increase your chances of conceiving twins in a natural way, although there is no any guarantee therein but it is worth trying.
Fraternal Twins: This occurs when multiple eggs are released and two separate eggs are fertilized.
Identical Twins: This happen as a result of when the egg splits in the early stages of pregnancy. In most cases, identical twins don’t run in families, therefore it can be a miracle which occurs to a couple of any ethnicity.
· Hereditary: When you have twins in your family or if probably you are a twin, the chance of conceiving twins is higher. The genetic predisposition only applies to the mother; her genes influence the possibility of hyper-ovulation.
· According to statistics, African women are more likely to conceive twins, while Asian women have a lower chance.
· Identical twins can be a fluke and happen to anyone, while fraternal twins usually run in the maternal genetics. Hyperovulation is said to be genetic and cause the release of multiple eggs.
· Aged women are also liable to conceive twins as they approach peri-menopause. The body receives a fertility increase according to increase in oestrogen. After the age of 35, the body will start producing more FSH (follicle stimulating hormones). As a result, during ovulation the body will release more than one egg and increase the possibility of having twins.
· Taller women and women with higher BMI also have an increase possibility of conceiving twins. Having a BMI over 30 is thought to increase the chance. However, this put you in the obese category and not actually a healthy option.
Possible ways to increase chances of conceiving twins:
· Folate (natural form – folinic acid): This has been found to have a 40% increase in twin pregnancy. Although it appears to be targeted at women who have had IVF treatments. Therefore, increasing folic acid (400 to 1000 micrograms) is a natural method of getting pregnant with twins. Folic acids help to overcome any neural tube defects during pregnancy and helps with the healthy growth of your baby. Some foods that can help increase your vitamins B9 include lettuce, spinach, strawberries, tomatoes, egg yolk, sunflower seeds, asparagus, broccoli, honeydew melon and liver.
· Hyperovulation stimulating foods: There are some specific foods that can naturally increase the rate of ovulation and stimulates the ovaries to release multiple eggs. Typical example is Cassava which is an African wild yam or sweet potato. Other examples are tofu, soy isoflavones, whole wheat and whole grains. Also, the same applies for feeding your partner Oysters for the high zinc content which assists with sperm production. Zinc is said to assist with sperm mobility and health. Most doctors recommend 14mg/day.
· Gaining extra body weight: The medical doctors usually recommend consumption of dairy or calorie-rich food. According to a research study carried out by Dr Gary Steinman, women that usually eat more dairy are five times more likely to conceive twins. Another research revealed that vegans are less likely to conceive twins. Therefore, the best chance is to increase the consumption of dairy and meat.
· Dairy: Regular intake of dairy products also increases the chance of multiple birth pregnancies. Drinking milk from hormone treated cows. Also, cows’ liver contains Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF) thought to trigger multiple pregnancies.
· Gap before conception: You shouldn’t rush to fall pregnant shortly after birth. Experts advise that there should be a gap in the conception.
· Use a Birth Control Pill: When you stop taking the birth control pill, your hormones will fluctuate and take some time to find its natural rhythm. The hormone flux increases the chances of releasing multiple eggs that will lead to the conception of twins.
· Have more children: When you have more children, there is an increase in chance of conceiving twins naturally. It becomes easier for your body to produce multiple eggs during ovulation the more times that you are pregnant.
· Continue breastfeeding: The body produces a higher percentage of prolactin during breastfeeding. It therefore increases the chances of having twins.
Be aware that there is no guarantee that you will conceive twins, but the above outlined ways can only help to increase your chances. With multiple pregnancies, there are high risks, therefore be sure to visit your doctor for advice.