Although it takes some getting used to, it is indeed a good thing for your health. Are you aware that it is very good for you to regularly take an ice-cold shower? Saying goodbye to your warm shower may not sound appealing, but it is worth it. Lowering the water temperature a few degrees has these six advantages. They are:
1. It is good for your immune system: Several people believe the opposite, but research reveals that a cold temperature actually increases your resistance. By exposure to low temperatures, your immune system is boosted and you are less likely to suffer from diseases and inflammation. The good news is that you will be able to gain this positive effect by taking a cold shower for only 30 seconds at a time.
2. It offers you energy: A fresh shower releases adrenaline into the body. This can come in handy, especially in the morning: it wakes you up in an instant and you will leave the shower revitalized and full of energy. Do you normally feel tired at the end of a working day? An ice-shower in the evening can be invigorating, and will clear your head.
3. It can make you happier: When you manage to get through an ice-shower, you will realize you are feeling fantastic afterwards. Because of this small victory, your body will release more happy hormones. Will you soon be singing under a cold shower?
4. It improves circulation: Another positive body reaction is that cold water stimulates your circulation and is therefore good for the heart and circulatory system.
5. It makes your skin glow: It is also very beneficial for your skin to take a cold shower. High temperatures usually cause dry skin, while your skin will feel softer after an ice cold shower. For an energetic and radiant skin, it is therefore necessary to stand under the cold shower, although with chattering teeth.
6. You are cold less often: Okay, you will need to bite the bullet during your ice cold shower, but exposing your body to cold more often makes it easier to stay warm during the winter months. Your body is, as it were, trained to warm itself up naturally, so that you are less likely to suffer from cold at temperatures.