Sleep is one of the most important things to do in order to keep healthy and happy. Just one night of restlessness will not only make you feel exhausted but it is also linked to weight gain. Meanwhile, what could be the cause? When we are tired, the metabolism slows down and the body uses less energy. Poor sleep can also affect the blood sugar and make the insulin to spike up, causing the urge for food and reducing the rate at which calories are burned.
It is important to get some shut-eye in the bid to lose weight and having caffeine or sugar too close to going to bed can make you stay awake. However, there are some bedtime drinks that can actually assist you lose weight as well as ensuring that you get some much-needed shut eye.
1. Milk: We have all heard of the saying “sleep like a baby”. It is according to school of thoughts that newborns usually sleep deeply because of drinking warm milk before they go to bed. Just a glass of milk (heating optional) can help you to a peaceful night because it contains high amounts of calcium and tryptophan. Calcium helps the brain to use the amino acid tryptophan to form the substance melatonin, which is well known for causing sleep. Getting a full eight hours will ward off cravings the next day.
2. Chamomile Tea: Chamomile tea is a caffeine-free drink that will leave you feeling calm and is famous for its sleep inducing qualities. A mug of this will increase your body’s levels of glycerine, a neurotransmitter that not only acts as a mild sedative but also relaxes you too. It is also effective in improving glucose control which assists in weight loss. Therefore, you should stay away from any detox teas and have a cup of this tea instead.
3. Grape juice: When you drink a small glass of 100% grape juice before bed, you could be able to burn fat as you dream. Several researches suggest that eating or drinking simple carbs, which are found in grape juice, causes insulin secretion at night. The insulin helps to regulate the body’s circadin rhythms. Also, grapes are packed with antioxidants which transform calories storing white fat, into calorie burning brown fat.
4. Soy protein shake: You may think protein shakes are just for weight-lifters in the gym, but actually soy in milk or protein power form is brimming with the amino acid tryptophan. In most cases, tryptophan usually helps to reduce cortisol levels which help fight fat. Although metabolism reduces when you sleep, it still keeps working and your protein shake will be digested and absorbed as you are sleeping off.
5. Kefir: Kefir is a probiotic rich drink made from fermented drink and it works very well on your gut to increase healthy bacteria levels which aids digestion and absorption of vitamins and minerals. Kefir is a yoghurt-like drink that can help improve sleep and enhance exercise performance.
Share to a friend who needs this