How You Can Learn A Second Language In University
Learning more than one language is a skill that is generally accepted to be useful in day-to-day activities. When you are able to learn more languages at university, you stand a chance of many opportunities. Learning more than one language most especially in the university is typical needed for students as it will enable them to have more insight and learn more about communication skills with tendency of interacting with different students from different countries or towns.
What students needs to know more about these days is that the high level of competitive CV in search of job has made it imperative for everyone to be more innovative and capacitated. You need to possess some qualities that can easily make your credentials different from others and give you edge ahead. Isn’t it surprising that much time spent on research at labs, puzzling online and reading of different books in the library can’t any longer guarantee you a job as the competition is high speedily? Some skills and techniques are said to make you easily employed as it will portray you to have the intelligence and not only certificates. This shows that with the nature of job market that is getting competitive often, you are to show your prospective employer the sign that you are able and capable. While noting that, there are some characteristics you need to possess that will boost your employability and one of it is learning another language.
Why Do You Need To Learn Another Language?
If we are to be stating all the importance you stand to earned by learning different language in this piece, it might be too much as it can never be overemphasized, however, we have highlighted 5 importance which we believed it is pivotal to talk about.
1. Increase your employability: As we’ve rightly said from the beginning of this article that the nature of job market has give room for people to be technical and possess some qualities others might not. That shows a job seeker should always bare it in mind that not only certificate will guarantee him or her job but rather some attributes or traits which learning of another language is part of. This might not be unconnected to the desire of most businesses in having branching across different places or town which gives people that understand more languages good opportunity to be employed. When you know more than one language, you are valuable to the business as it will enhance smooth communication and necessary branding that can promote in the business at the particular area. In case the business might not even look into this condition, learning more than one language will enable you to be experienced and have more connection.
2. Earn cool cash: Do you know that it is possible for you to earn money due to your capacity to understand more than one language? It is very possible and there are opportunities for that. You can work as a translator or transcribe for many companies which will earn you cool money legitimately. There are numerous companies that need people that can translate different language for the effective running of their services. Since this process is very important for the business, those companies tend to pay good for it. This means that you can actually get money by working as a translator or transcriber for companies. More also, when you are able to know more than one language, you can earn money by working as an online tutor for others whereby you teach people about those languages and get paid.
3. It eases traveling: It is very clear that people that understand more than one language stand the chance of having a good time while on journey. Considering going for holiday as a student, knowing more languages will get you good communication among peers at where you traveled to and also you will be able to have more experience about their culture and traditions.
4. It birth innovation: Another great thing about learning more than one language is that it will open new doors for you and you might be effective in different fields such as being a diplomat, language instructor and many more.
5. Meditation: Learning of more than one language will surely help you exercise your brain as you will always meditate and learn different process. The importance of this is that you will be able to keep you learning process and memory in check always.
How You Can Learn A Second Language In University:
As a student, you just have to make plans for anything you do and have a good schedule. When you decide to lean a second language in university, you can just choose the language you are interested to learn and draw the plan. You have a good opportunity in university to learn different languages as there are many language options and it is left for you to do the research and make good use of it to the best of your ability. We will be stating some options for you here and you can just go through it and look for the most appropriate for you.
1. Go for free language course at your university: One of the best ways you can easily learn new language is by enrolling for it as a course in school. There are numerous universities that offers free language courses to their students and you shouldn’t be left out, make sure you participate and make use of it. In fact, this should be the first option to look into if you are willing to learn new language. Some courses of this nature are restricted to specific students and it worth doing by checking out the nature of students that can participate and if you can be eligible.
2. Make a language module as part of your degree: Different universities will always allows you to add some unit to your course aside the main courses and you can use this opportunity to achieve the aim of learning more languages. This means that you can just learn new language as part of your degree without really adding it to your overall workload. You might be prone to beginners course of those languages at your first year and that is why we advised you speak to your personal tutor with regards to open unit on every course before the term commence.
3. Go on Holiday or Study Abroad: This is another great way as you will be able to learn new language while on summer. This is possible as there will be summer break at the university which you can use the opportunity to travel abroad and learn new language. This is because you will easily learn and understand a particular language when you learn it in the country it is been spoken. This will allows you to always practice every words and expression you are taught.
4. You can teach yourself a language: This might seem a bit difficult but very possible. You can just read through some software and learn the words. It might be designed with texts, images, sounds and videos whereby you will be able to teach yourself the vocabulary and grammatical construction of the new language. This process might be time consuming and that it is why you need to make a schedule and give yourself time to learn it. You can choose to be doing it around evening time after the normal classes at the university. There are free online resources that can aid this process which include Duolingo, Memrise, Hellolingo and many more.
- Surprising Things That Will Happen To Your Body When You Eat Too Much Salt According to Scientists
- Best Debit Cards & Prepaid Cards for Teens in 2019
5. Join one of the language societies in your university: You can check out this offer as most of the language societies give out opportunity for people to improve and build on language skill. At their meet-ups, you will be able to witness different processes that would assist you in learning about the language and it might include screening of foreign language films and many others. You will also be able to practice your speaking skills and learn more on it. Another interesting thing about this is that you will have opportunity to speak with beginners like you and improve on your learning skills.
Image Credit: https://bilingualnanny.co.uk